Our public law practice provides legal services in connection with all facets of public and administrative law. We offer advice and litigation services regarding all engagements with government including the exercise of powers and functions, freedom of information, privacy, probity and dispute resolution.
We provide the following legal services in connection with public and administrative law:
- Merits and judicial review regarding all government decisions and decisions made under enactments
- Freedom of information requests
- Privacy complaints and reviews of freedom of information decisions with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
- Complaints to the Commonwealth Ombudsman
- Merits and judicial review regarding university academic and general misconduct
Our experience includes:
- Drafting submissions on behalf of the Commissioner of Taxation in a Part IVC Administrative Appeals Tribunal review of a reviewable decision under s 344 of the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993 (Cth) regarding an application for waiver of disqualified status pursuant to s 126B of the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993 (Cth). See Mourched and Commissioner of Taxation  AATA 223.
- Acting for a university student with respect to a notice of hearing issued under student misconduct rules for allegations of bullying, vilification, discrimination and harassment. This involved preparing cross-examination questions to university witnesses, preparing the evidence of the respondent student, and preparing submissions for the hearing.
- Successfully acting for an individual in having Centrelink withdraw its debt notice regarding alleged welfare overpayments.
- Advising a Deputy Commissioner of Taxation on their response to a freedom of information request, including the form of access, redactions and the application of exemptions including cabinet documents, internal working documents, documents concerning certain operations of agencies, documents subject to legal professional privilege, and documents affecting national economy.